So previously I posted a few weeks back that I was to see an opthamologist about my seeing floaters. I DID see this doc. She was nice and did a very detailed exam. She explained that everyone has this gel in their eye and it dries up and breaks down over time, a normal natural thing for some people to notice floaters due to this.
GREAT...it's normal and I am fine....
Well, the floaters seemed to get worse. I was told to return in there was a drastic change... My change was so, so gradual I barely realized it was happening. All the while this was going on I was realizing my vision was getting gradually worse. Opthamologists don't update your glasses or contact prescriptions.
I FINALLY went to an optometrist last Thursday. The doctor was WONDERFUL! First he asked what brought me in? I explained my vision seemed bad. I was having episodes of (best I can explain it is) my eyes were going off into la-la land, BUT I wasn't. He did such a thorough exam, like I felt he examined and looked at my eyes in different ways than I have ever had done. This wouldn't be alarming if I hadn't been the faithful contact wearer to go in once a year AND had I not been seen SIX times in the last 14 months by TWO different opthamologists and an optometrist!!
Well, I did in fact have a problem and my eyes WEREN'T fine and NORMAL.
I wear disposable contacts, they are supposed to be thrown out after being worn a month. Since I do not sleep in them and soak/clean them every night, I wore my contacts for a few months at a time or until it ripped.
BAD, BAD, BAD....what happened is the contacts develop a film (get dirty) over time. My eye lid was being irritated and basically quit making this mucus/lubricant... My eyes are all irritated and swollen due to this. THIS IS why I was noticing such bad vision, EVEN in my new prescription I was not able to see 20/20! The doc gave me prescription eye drops to use for a week, I had to use the drops 4 times a day with out the contacts in?!?!? My "back-up" glasses are just that, back up for an emergency. The doctor really suggested I wear glasses for a week...
So, I ran out Saturday and bought a new pair of glasses that actually are SAFE for me to drive in :) I feel so strange in them. Larry has kindly told me I look like a librarian and then he decided I look like a school teacher?!?!? How about I look like a stay at home mama? I go back on Thursday for a check up. I feel SO much better now with a good, true understanding of what and why my eyes have gone nuts on me.
So, DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS??? Please be sure to wear them exactly how they recommend you to and get your eyes check once a year! Had this gone on much longer my eyes would have suffered forever...kind of like a nail biter....my eye lids would have fallen into a critical BAD habit. I'm praying he sees drastic improvement later this week. I feel and see much better now. Floaters are either gone or very mild.
P.S. Ask your eye doctor about this as the eyes are so complex (to me anyhow) and I feel I BARELY understand my own problem, I've just described it as best as I could!
HUGE BLESSING ! A Matching Grant !
10 years ago



2 comments:
Thank you for all the information!
LOVE THE FAMILY PHOTO!
Post a Comment