.jpg)
A cute picture of our jail bird..jpg)
Tommy looking out at his fabulous view of this artwork...sad thing is they started taking down during our stay??
Here's the picture he looked at....it was a nice view considering...
Since I've missed church again I should use some of this quiet time to update you.
Last Sunday Tommy and I stayed home because he was sick. Larry left with the kids to church and told me to watch Tommy's breathing....well I had noticed earlier that morning that his breathing was fast. Needless to say we went to the ER around 2:30 that afternoon.
We went to Children's Hospital...wow, is that a nice treat, treat IF you must have a sick kid at the ER that is?!?!? They were fabulous, although scared me at first. The lady gave me some paperwork to fill out and asked that I stay near the desk because they would be calling Tommy next for vitals.
So, they called him after I finished writing down my name and address....one nurse is doing vitals, another nurse is asking questions. During this she speaks to the tech asking him not to fill all of her rooms??? I stay quiet and start to worry...finally she said he's going straight to a room. Okay, mind you the waiting area looked like McDonald's during a birthday party. I simply said "this must not be good"?! She told me with his rapid breathing and him being a preemie she didn't want to chance him catching something else out in the waiting area.
Since Tommy was not given the RSV preventative shot due to being too healthy of a preemie basically, I'd always feared him getting the virus.
They immediately hooked him up to the monitors...he was breathing 70 breaths per minute and his heart rate (HR) was 189! They did tests after test, a chest x-ray fearing pneumonia and so on. He in fact had RSV. Thankfully we caught it early and with a few breathing treatments....Super Tommy avoided being put on O2.
Connie, this fabulous, my favorite respiratory therapist nicknamed him Super Tommy. She said she'd never had a 1 year old fight her as badly as Tommy fought her. Luckily after the first fight, the next two breathing treatments went a bit more smoothly...
After just 24-48 hours there his HR came down to 110-120 and his breathing came down to 30-40 which is/was expected when baby is sick. At the same time it was noticed he developed another ear infection. He got these nasty, burning shots of antibiotics for three mornign sin a row. He will now see an ENT (ear, nose and throat doc) in a week or so for what I guess will be a set of tubes in his ears.
The ER doc was wonderful, but the icing on the cake was Tommy's primary care pediatrician was on call for the base pediatric clinic...for a week. So, he knew Tommy and cared for him during his 4 night stay. As usual, God took care of our family and was looking out for us. We are so blessed!
Today I should add, although I feel sick, Tommy is doing way better. We missed church due to the van not starting?? Shocked, me too! Thinking it's the starter...we'll have to have it towed to a repair shop tomorrow. L-I-F-E!!
HUGE BLESSING ! A Matching Grant !
10 years ago



2 comments:
Wow! RSV!!! I'm so glad you caught it early and he responded so well to treatment... what a great blessing! I've missed so much church in the last few months due to sick kids, its amazing. 2 weeks ago, I got Jesse dressed for church and he asked if Daddy was taking him to church. I realized I had always been the one staying home with the sick kids. Its so nice to get back.
Sounds like Tommy has had quite the month. Hopefully the rest of the winter is more low-key!
Post a Comment